Monday, August 6, 2007

I don't see...


I don't see...how family members of some people who become ill can ignore the pain their loved one is going through in their lives. Time and time again I've read from people who are not getting the support they need from those closest to them. The person isn't too needy and they aren't demanding anything that they wouldn't graciously give if the situation was reversed.

When a person becomes ill or they are faced with a tough circumstance it is natural to instantly take for granted that those they love the most will certainly be by their side. When their loved ones are indifferent or not understanding they are not just hurt by their actions but truly crushed. I personally can't understand it. I love my family so much and if any one of them suddenly became ill I'd want to hold their hand through every moment of it. I'd want to do everything I could to make them feel secure and safe. I'd want to do my own part in trying to make their life as loving, as fun and as comfortable as I possibly could. I can't imagine responding any other way. I am very fortunate to have a very supportive family, I wish everyone had that.

I do realize that there are times family members just can't accept what is happening in the life of their loved one. It is easier for them to try and ignore the situation then face it. In many ways this is a self-serving action for them to take because they are attempting to save themselves from the pain of facing reality. The sad truth is that the person who is ill cannot escape the reality of their situation and due to the actions of their loved one they are having to face it alone. No one should have to go through something like that alone. If the person who is ill can live through it, face up to it and stand strong in the fight to cope and survive, the least the family can do is to hold their hand as they travel their journey.

No comments: