Monday, August 6, 2007

Diagnosis and My Daily Routine

I was diagnosed on October 11, 2006 with diabetes. After a while of just feeling blah (the only way to describe it really) things began to get worse. I had lost a lot of weight and was constantly hungry to the point where I'd eat and an hour later I'd feel sick as if I was starving to death. I never liked water before and suddenly it was the only thing I could drink that would quench the dreadful thirst. I was so exhausted that I'd come home and just go to bed. One day I woke up and literally couldn't get out of bed from being so weak. I thought I had a bad flu or something but as the next couple of hours passed I realized I was sicker than I thought. I tried to force myself from bed to go and eat something and after only a few steps my vision became so blurred that I thought I was going to faint. I then returned to my bed and called a friend to come and take me to the hospital.

Very quickly the doctor suspected diabetes and admitted me and we learned that my glucose levels were in the 800's (80-120 is normal "there are some slight variables to that"). I was placed on insulin to get my levels down and told that I had diabetes. They believed based it seems on my age (44) that I had type II and after a few days my levels returned to a safer level and I was released and sent home with oral meds, diet, and exercise instructions. Very quickly (days) my health began declining again. At first I thought I was doing something wrong with my diet but I honestly knew better because I had stuck to the diet religiously. I ended up back at the hospital and was admitted again and by this time further test results had came back from my last stay and I learned I actually had Type I and not Type II. I was insulin dependent to the point that they said I was making little if any insulin on my own. This time I was sent home with prescriptions for Humulin 70/30 insulin at night and Regular insulin for meals and scheduled for diabetic education classes and to see a dietitian. I was also referred to a endocrinologist.

My appt with the endo doc was over a week away and by the time I got there I was sick yet again and my glucose levels were so out of whack it was horrible. At that visit the endocrinologist was shocked at what insulin the hospital had placed me on. She confirmed my diagnosis and switched me to Lantus at night and Humulog for meals. I slowly began to reach a place where there was at least a glimmer of some control to the fluctuations of my blood sugar levels. However we soon learned that I was going to be someone who would have to learn how to closely count my carbohydrates in my diet and adjust my insulin accordingly and to even take extra shots daily in order to correct my glucose levels down when I experienced spikes. I went from 4 shots a day to having to take sometimes as many as 8 or 9. We are now working with my insurance in the attempt to get me an insulin pump which will make things somewhat simpler, at least as far as the shots go.

Having diabetes changes the entire way you must live on a daily basis. Being Spontaneous is out of the question as each activity, each trip from home, each visit to a friend, each time you want to do anything you must think through how it will affect your diabetes. You must also remember to take all the necessary medication, supplies and items needed if an emergency arrives such as a low blood glucose level. You have to forget about carrying those cute little designer purses and change over to the big bulky ones. Actually those are in style right now and if designer is your thing there are great ones available to provide the adequate space you need to carry everything and still look stylish.

Your day is pretty much guided by a schedule that in actuality your life depends on. It seems as if every time you turn around you must be either taking a shot, eating or testing your blood glucose and that is on a good day... on those bad days... well what I just mentioned is only the least you must do to attempt control of your diabetes. It is very important to maintain your day as close to the schedule that works for you and helps you maintain control. This is not as easy as it may sound because daily, things come up that try to wreak havoc with your schedule. Below I've shared my typical day with you.

3:00 am: I set my alarm to wake me to check my blood glucose to make certain I'm not suffering from a low blood glucose. I used to do this a lot but with some adjustments of my Lantus I'm doing better but they still happen. I resisted this at first because I have so much trouble getting to sleep and I thought I'd never get back to sleep if I got up in the middle of the night. I was waking up with high fasting blood glucose levels and thought well I'm OK during the night only to learn from my doctor that this may actually mean that I'm going low in the night and my liver is dumping glucose causing the morning highs. Sooooooo I finally got it into my head that I had to check in the middle of the night. It has helped me in controlling my glucose levels and I've adjusted to it well.

7:30 am: I wake up, check my glucose (prick prick) and then prepare my breakfast after fumbling through my meal plan, books, etc to be sure of the carbs I'm eating (I'm still in the learning phase) and then I take my shot, eat my breakfast. I have to be sure that I eat within 5 to 10 minutes of my shot.

9:30 am: It is prick time again to see what my blood levels are 2 hours after my meal..... if not good... correction time.... another shot.

10:00 am: Snack time.....

12:00 pm: It is Lunch time. I first check my glucose levels (prick prick) and decide on my meal. Again you can't just grab something, you must know what you are putting in your body to adjust your insulin dose. Prepare the meal.... take shot, eat.

2:00 pm: It is prick time again too as I must see what my blood levels are 2 hours after my lunch..... if not good... correction time.... another shot. I also have a snack at this time.

4:00 pm: It is dinner time. I check my glucose levels (prick prick) and have to have my meal ready by this time. I adjust my insulin dose based on the carbs I'm going to eat and stick stick I go with the insulin pen. I eat my dinner.

5:00 pm I try to get in a walk or some sort of activity and have to check my glucose before I leave, during the walk if I feel odd and once I get home.

6:00 pm: I am usually in need of a snack... (I never feel hungry but have to eat or I pay a dear price later) Oh and I check my glucose again too.

8:00 pm: It is time for my shot of Lantus. I again must check my glucose.

Depending on how late I may stay up on any given night I may need another snack before bed. I also check my glucose later in the evening if I stay up later and I always check it right before bedtime.

And on and on we go. Now try fitting into that schedule people dropping by or going shopping or doing anything really. You must eat when you must, take a shot when you must and it takes stopping anything you are doing. If I had been asked to keep this sort of schedule for any other reason I'd said "Are you nuts?" but as it is I have no choice... Well I do but the alternatives are far worse so I'll muddle through and work as hard as I can to be happy and live a full life filled with joy and peace.

No comments: