Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dunce, Dunce, Dunce

I made a major boo boo and paid the price. I was suffering with high bg levels in the afternoon and evening hours so my doc recommended I split my dose of Lantus into two shots daily. I was taking one dose at night and changed to taking half dose in the morning and the other half at night. The theory is that the one dose wasn't lasting long enough to get me through the day.

For about two days this seemed to be doing the job and I was relative steady then that all went down the toilet. I began having lows throughout the day and it was an intense struggle to get the levels up only to see them fall again very quickly.

I didn't know what the problem was at first. I kept thinking I needed more carbs, maybe was getting a cold, etc. I am so so so much in the learning phase. I didn't realize just how much until this little fiasco. After two days of lows and me battling it ferociously I finally called the doctor. She said that my Lantus is probably lasting longer than the 12 hour interval between shots and I'm seeing an overlap in working insulin and to go back to the one shot and do corrections if I go high in the afternoon and evening hours.

This sounds easy enough doesn't it.... Well LOL NOOOOOOOOOO it wasn't. The morning my doctor told me to change back to one dose daily I had already taken my shot of the half dose. I got so confused at trying to figure out how to get back to the one shot daily without seeing my glucose levels go out of whack that I took the whole dose again..... Can we say LOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Oh yea. I crashed...

Glucagon here we go and the day was a horrible mess. Finally I got back to taking the Lantus at the right time and in one shot and things leveled out. I do still have the highs in the evening but I'm working on that with my diet and my bolus insulin. I felt like a dunce when I realized what I had done. Oh well, we live and learn but this stuff can really get your head spinning and confuse the daylight out of you.

No comments: